Monday, May 24, 2010

A Mustard Seed Seems So Little

By: Taft Ayers

A friend that I love with all of my heart has recently had some pretty good conversations with me. I admire the fact that he and I can be so honest with each other and continue to press forward on our daily walk.

He really gets me thinking...

What do you do when the faith you proclaim doesn’t quite match up with the faith you possess?

I’d imagine you’ve had times (I know I have) when circumstances tested how much you actually believe what you’ve said (or sung in church) about God.

Ezra finds himself in exactly this place in a fascinating passage in Ezra 8 where he’s leading a wave of return from Israelite captivity. After being sent with a large group of Israelites from Babylon to Jerusalem by King Artaxerxes, Ezra gets to a section of the journey that’s especially conducive to ambush.

At first, he considers contacting Artaxerxes for a contingent of soldiers before progressing, but stops short. I love his honesty as he explains why:

I was ashamed to ask the king for soldiers and horsemen to protect us from enemies on the road, because we had told the king, “The gracious hand of our God is on everyone who looks to him, but his great anger is against all who forsake him.” (Ezra 8.22)

Nice.

In other words, Ezra had spoken confidently about God’s protection, so he didn’t want to look faithless and cowardly by coming back and asking the king for soldiers. “I’d talked the talk,” Ezra says in essence. “Now it’s time to walk the walk.”

And I love his solution in verse 23: “So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer.”

Where’s the best place to go when faith in God wavers?

God.

May the faith we possess always match the faith we proclaim.

But when it doesn’t, may we be smart enough to talk to the One who already knows there’s a gap, and who can do something about it.

Just sayin'.

2 comments:

  1. This really go tme thinking yesterday. I'd never really noticed the doubt that Ezra feels, nor his embarrassment/shame of it. That story, if it gets taught at all, seems to be all about his faith and not about the honesty of his fear and how he fights through it. Thanks for giving me something to chew on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiffany.

    Smacked me right in the mouth when I read it.

    I hate/love it when God does that.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete